Doha, Qatar, March 10, 2019 – The French Embassy and the French Institute of Qatar is celebrating the Francophonie Festival from March 13 to 23. It is an event dedicated to those who love the French language beyond just being the first language of culture and communication. The latest estimates indicate that Qatar has around 200 thousand Francophones living in it.
With the support of and in partnership with Qatar Foundation, Katara Cultural Village, Fnac – Fifty One East and Qatar Airways, the official airline of the Francophonie Festival, the event will offer the following activities to further promote the French language:
- The debut of the eloquent speech tournaments between students of French in Qatar will present the eight finalists during their eliminatory trials in front of a panel of judges composed from diplomats, lawyers and professional members in the theatre professionals –The event is set to take place on Wednesday, March 13th from 6:30 pm at Rotana Hotel City Center–
- The second French Touch Rugby Tournament launched and hosted by Blue Falcons Rugby Club which will gather 24 teams –The event is set to take place on Friday, March 15th from 8 am to 6 pm at Doha Sport Park–
- French dictation, ‘La Grande dictée de langue française’, featuring two categories – French as a mother tongue and French as a second language – (The event is set to take place on Sunday March 21st from 5:00 pm)
- Gastronomic event ‘Goût de France / Good France’ will dazzle us with the flavors of Provence and will be celebrated in many restaurants throughout Doha –The event is set to take place on March 21st– 24th–
- ‘Olympiades of the Francophonie’ a series of sporting tournaments among the student faculties, which commences with fencing –a sport in which the French language is used– ; theatrical performances, writing contests and plastic arts –The event is set to take place on Saturday March 23rd 10:00 am – 4:00 pm at the French Qatari Voltaire School, in Al Waab –
- A unique show by the musical group called Cinq de Coeur will present ‘The non-return concert’. The show has five performers who will entertain audience members with their humor and vocal skills through lyrical chant. The quintet’s show highlights include well-known classical repertoire or the standard variety through wacky scenes –The event is set to take place on Saturday March 23rd at 4:00 pm at the Drama Theater, in Katara Cultural Village–.